Cockatiels are known for being the small version of parrots. They are very vocal, as this has become their way to make their human friends happy.
With their feathers mostly mutated in grey and white flashes, these birds can relieve your stress right away.
One characteristic that makes Cockatiels amusing is their ability to show emotions. You will know if they are relaxed when their crest starts sloping. On the other hand, they are angry when their crest flattens close to the head.
Having said these, you might be asking at this moment, “How much does it need to own a Cockatiel?”
Owning a Cockatiel – Cost Overview
If you consider buying a Cockatiel already, you must know that there are other expenses needed for purchasing this kind of bird. Of course, you will need to give your pet a living so it can do its responsibility of being a good company to you.
In this article, you will know various stuff that are necessary in owning a Cockatiel. Other expenditures for maintenance include shelter, food, and even your pet’s health. This post will also enumerate some factors that would affect the prices of this bird.
Starting Expenditures for Cockatiels
Stores such as birdbreeders.com and gumtree.com offer variety of prices of Cockatiels. The cheapest can be bought at $10 while the most expensive is at $250. Prices depend on the colors and breeds of the bird.
Meanwhile, thefinchfarm.com provided specific Cockatiel-bird prices depending on their types. Cockatiel – Albino would cost $211.99 while Cockatiel – Cinnamon costs $131.99. Cockatiel – Lutino also sells at $177.99.
The same store also offers White-faced, Pied, and Pearl Cockatiels at $154.99. Cross-types such as White-faced Pied and White-faced Pearl Cockatiels cost $177.00 to $211.99.
However, if you are short of budget, websites such as burgebirdrescue.com and pets.overstock.com offer adoption of Cockatiels. You just need to pay a small amount for adoption fees. Also, you will need to comply with the adoption process.
Aside from the bird itself, an interested owner of Cockatiels should prepare for necessary expenses which include:
- Cage – You may not want to lose your pet for giving it freedom all day. So cages are necessary as habitats of your Cockatiels. Prices range at $35 to $289.95 depending on the size, design, and quality of the cage.
- Food and Water Bowls – It is a waste of time to always feed your Cockatiels by your bare hands. Along with the cage, you have to buy food and water bowls for you and your bird’s convenience. Price starts at $1.49 in trusted pet stores.
- Toys – To make your bird comfortable in its territory, fill the cage with toys such as swings, ladder, and perches. Pet-accessory stores sell toys of your choice at $0.99 to $36.51 depending on their features.
- Cleaning Materials – When you have fully set up the habitat of your Cockatiel, expect it to be dirty as poops would stick to it. You will need cleaning materials such as brushes, poop remover, or even bath tub for your bird. You can purchase these at $2.99 to $16.29.
- Bird Carrier (Optional) – Cockatiels love it when you get to bond with them outside. This activity makes them comfortable with you. If you need bird carriers, petCo.com sells various types for as low as $22.49.
Promos and Other Stuff Included
It is indeed a good news for buyers that stores such as thefinchfarm.com include free shipping in their promos. Also, warranties are guaranteed for buyers in case the bird dies upon arrival. This store gives coupons that are equal to the amount of the deceased Cockatiels.
There is also free shipping on cages of your birds. However, this is in selected pet stores and bird cages only as some would require shipping fees especially for international transactions.
The Cost for Maintaining a Cockatiel
A Cockatiel eats 1.5 to 2 tablespoons of food every day. You can choose to have a pellet-feeding which can cost as low as $1.79 in PetCo. This 3-oz food is made with real fruit and vegetable pieces and can last up to 3 days.
However, if you want to go with seed feeding for your bird, the same store offers a 2.5-pound crop seeds and grains for as low as $5.99. Following the measurement above, this is already good for a 40-day consumption.
Another cost of owning a Cockatiel is a Veterinary check-up. When your bird tends to sleep all day and shows signs of sickness, you need to go to your nearest Veterinarian. Veterinary visits can cost you around $40 to $60 per bird, with it soaring up to $100 for emergency care.
What May Affect the Cost of Cockatiels?
In buying a Cockatiel, you are not assured that its prices will be the same as what you researched. There are factors that may be disadvantageous on your part as a buyer. Here are some:
- Breed – Since Cockatiels have many breeds, each with different characteristics, types can be a factor for changes in price. If you have plenty of budget, choose the most unique ones.
- Source – Pet stores sell birds such as Cockatiels in different price range. For a more convenient purchasing, it is important to find prices online first.
- Location – Since other stores do not offer free shipping, it will require you to go to the nearest pet store. And the transportation expenses will surely affect your budget for owning this bird. Consider prioritizing stores that offer free shipping so that you can allocate more budget for food and other expenses.
Tips Before Buying a Cockatiel
Before buying a Cockatiel, observe the pet store or the private breeders where your pet will be coming from. Assess if they are clean and if they give your soon-to-be pet a good habitat before you own it. This way, you can be quite sure that your bird does not carry diseases such as Avian Malaria.
You may need to consider also the age of your family members. If all are old, they might not appreciate the noisy Cockatiel in your home. This bird is good for children as they are often amazed by how it mimics sounds.
Before finding a Cockatiel for sale, it is also important to consider the amount of time you can give to your pet. Since this bird loves to interact with people, much attention is necessary. You have to spend time with it to teach different tricks and sounds.
You probably have that dream of getting a friend who will always make you happy. Perhaps, you have tried to be with people and ended up being left behind. But did you ever know that pets like Cockatiels can also make good friends?
Well, Cockatiels cannot join you in gimmicks so to speak. They can only make you smile through their sounds and pretty faces. The whole article enumerated various demands of having a Cockatiel. It is now up to you to assess if you are ready to give what is necessary for this pet.
Undoubtedly, owning a Cockatiel entails time and effort which can surely be reciprocated by your pet’s love. In a literal bird’s eye-view, it is never a good idea to be owned and not be cared as much as needed. Cockatiels can give you the feeling of being with a great company – a kind of love that not even your human friends can provide.